Thursday, November 10, 2016

Omnivore's Dilemna. Response

After have finished reading this book I have two encountered feelings. I really liked how Michael Pollan gives strong and fascinating statements of how corn is present in our everyday diet nowadays, specially in processed food. In the second part of the book it was surprising how organic food are not as local or organic as they advertise. This made me feel really bad because people, like me, who now know the reality of the industrial food chain, who try to make a change in their diet by consuming organic food which don’t rely on pesticides or antibiotics cannot trust anymore in supermarkets because organic food in there is much close to the industrial food. So, basically one of the solutions that came to my mind was to start eating locally as much as possible. In the third part of the book he counts how was his experience of preparing his final perfect meal from ingredients derived from his efforts through hunting and gathering. It was a very enjoyable part to read. He hunted a wild pig, gathered mushrooms from the forest, collected cherries from a tree in the neighborhood, everything to prepared what he considers his perfect meal. However, he realizes that this is an unrealistic option in terms of daily eating, and I totally agree with that. It is impossible to feed an entire country in that way. Specially for those people who don’t have the chance to live on a farm or close to one, eating locally is a very hard work. Also, a very good example of why this way of eating is unrealistic is when he tells that he was not able to clean the pig he shoot. This part was a bit disappointing. I know that killing and cleaning a dead animal is not for everyone, it isn’t for me. And less in the nowadays society in which we have everything clean and ready to eat within reach. I am not against what he considers a perfect meal, it was interesting instead. Michael Pollan finds out what he considers a perfect meal is a meal he knows where all the ingredients come from and also the company of the people who made possible this meal helping him in his hunting and gathering endeavours. However, after have read about the reality of the industrial and organic food, I would like to read about what Michael thinks could be a solution for people who cannot afford or don’t have access to organically grown food. Apart of that, the conclusion I take from this book is that eating locally as much as possible is a great step to improve our diet and that we must be more conscious of what we are eating and try to make our personal food chain. That maybe I can't change the world eating disorder but I can change mine and in that way supporting local farms. He could discover what is a perfect meal for fim and now I need to find what is a perfect meal for me.


1 comment:

  1. Ale, I really liked how you took Pollan's quest for the perfect meal as the initiative to find your own perfect meal. You're absolutely correct in noticing that Pollan's "perfect meal" is unattainable for many people, especially for us as college students. I look forward to seeing what elements make up your perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete