Sunday, October 23, 2016

Thou Shall Eat Pizza- 11th Commandment


I've always been a fan of the pizzas, but the kind of pizzas I am used to are not from Italy, of course, I wish they would but they are from Domino’s or pizza Hut. The pizza, the first dish that comes to our mind when we think of Italy, has always been one of my favorite dishes in the world. I have not had the opportunity to go to Italy but with this theme of globalization one can eat Italian food everywhere, and the pizza is the most popular. While in Chicago, heard about the deep dish stuffed pizza which I have never have heard before. There a lot of places that offer it and among them Giorganos's, which has proclaimed itself as "Chicago's World Famous Stuffed Pizza," is the best known and most popular.

The stuffed pizza entered the American culinary scene when Giorgano's opened in Chicago. As I have read in their website ( where you can find any infomation about this restaurant) the Blogio Brothers, who founded Giorgano's in 1974, are from a samll town near Turin, Italy, and say that their stuffed pizza is based on their mother's pizza, which featured a double crust and was stuffed with riccotta cheese.
My friends and me decided make the reservation one day before in order not to have to wait too much time to eat that delicious pizza from I have had heard wonderful comments. Anfortunately, when we arrived we were surprised by a big number of people staying in the entrance of the restaurant. We entered to ask for aur reservation but they said that we had to wait until they send us a text message. If we had not had the urge to eat this unknown type of pizza, we would not have stayed, but we decided to wait. After a little more than 10 minutes we received in message. Our table was in the second stage, near a large window. The restaurant was packed, there wasn’t space for more people. However, the restaurant was big enough to have the tables well organized but sometimes the owners give more importance to the money than the customer’s comfort. It was big enough to give a different impression that we had, but the comings and goings of waiters and customers between the tables gave the impression of being overwhelmed and low organized.  The walls were covered with frames in a row holding newspaper pages. The temperature was not to neither hot nor cold, helping to create an atmosphere of relaxation that I personally appreciated. The lighting of the restaurant was perfect, was not so brilliant that dazzles you and it was not so dark that barely allow to see what you are eating. I like to see the appearance of my food.
Not enough with having us waiting outside, we had to wait inside more than ten minutes for the waiter. The waiter with a very characteristic beard came to our table, went straight to a friend of mine from Spain whose accent is quite predictable. Surprisily, he started talking to us in Spanish. She told us that he had lived in Argentina and that is why his Spanish was so good. We started looking uncomfortable because we were really hungry, we only wanted pizza, and the waiter didn’t stop his speech.
We ordered three types of pizza, the most famous in the menu, Cheese Pizza, Chicago Pizza and More Meat and meat Pizza.
After some minutes waiting the famous deep dish pizzas arrived. At first glance a whole stuffed pizza looked virtually identical to the website photo. The outer crust around the edge of the pizza was generally higher. The difference of a Domino’s pizza (until that moment my favorite) and the Giorgano’s is very clear.
The stuffed pizza has a thinner bottom crust that seemed more like a pie crust than a pizza crust. On top of that is between 3/4 and 1 full inch of cheese with the toppings mixed in rather than on top. The next layer, which most people don't realize is there, is a paper-thin layer of dough. It is that second layer that makes the pizza "stuffed." As is the case with a deep dish pizza, the chunky tomato sauce goes on top.



As  cheese lover I decided to start with the Cheese Pizza. Of course, the main ingredients were the mozzarella cheese and the crusty dough. On top there was the tomato sauce, which was good but not great. That said the pizza was still excellent, it was tasty and cheesy but not greasy, which is a really good compliment for a pizza. I cannot say the same of the Chicago pizza, in which I had big expectations, because of the name, perhaps. Right away, I saw a problem. Some of the sauce on top had dried a bit. I'm not sure if they just didn't put enough sauce on or if they cooked the pizza a little too long, but it was a bit disappointing. The ingredients of the Chicago Pizza, were green peppers, mushrooms and onions. The peppers were not well cooked, fried onion seemed to have been fried in used oil, and the only thing that could save the mushrooms were conspicuous by their absence. The cheese flavor outshone all the flavor of the other ingredients. After the cheese pizza I expected this one that had a different flavor. I turned a complete disappointment. The third pizza More Meat and meat had pepperoni, bacon, sausage, salami. It was a bomb of flavor in my mouth. The mixture of flavors was perfect and this time he had put enough meat to cheese not overshadow its flavor, which I strongly appreciated. I've always been a fan of cheese, and it was the first time I said, too much cheese. Cheese is and is always going to be great complement of the pizza, but it may become an important problem when it blur the flavors of the rest of the ingredients. It can be repetitive pair the palate and can give the impression that we are eating the same cheesy pizza all the time. I will not say it was the worst pizza I've ever eaten in my life, it would be a total lie. To be honest, I would come back again, but I would like to have a better service. If you are a cheese lover like me, I encourage you to go to Giordano’s  and try it.


1 comment:

  1. You did it again, now I need eat some of pizza.

    Congratulations for your review Alejandra :)

    ReplyDelete