Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Secret Ingredients The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink

After reading the first seven essays of Secret Ingredients The New Yorker I started loving food much more, but I am also eager to read more not only about food itself but the background and history that surround it, in other words, this book it was very appealing to me because shows that each meal has a interesting story behind and it is worth to telling it. Reading this book, I sometimes felt transported to France (Paris and Provence), the luxuriate descriptions that the writers give of le grand cuisine of pre war French cuisine is very fascinating. I really appreciate that this first part of the book have essays dating back nearly 100 years which I think that give the book a little more substance, rather than only stories related only to food experiences. In this first part of the book titled “Dining Out”, four of the seven pieces are about French cooking, which three of the out of those four were written prior to the 70s, which shows that French cooking was and still is one of the best cuisines in the world, or at least that is what the writers say in their essays. Although I don't have an overwhelming interest in reading about French cooking, these essays were very interesting for me, but perhaps, I would have liked to read more about other’s countries cooking, for example, some Mexican cooking or Indian cooking, Mediterranean food or ,of course, Peruvian gastronomy. From my point of view, that would have given the book more perspectives of the international cuisine, rather than only focusing on Europe, and specially on France.
I really liked the fact that the essays are written by different authors, which makes the book far more attractive. This part of the book includes some interesting essays, from “ All you can hold for five bucks” which is a description of Beefsteak parties, which I enjoyed because it showed the cooking and eating trends in the early part of the 20th century in New York,  or the description of a thirty- seven course lunch designed and hosted by Gerard Depardieu, or the Anthony Bourdain's “Don't Eat Before Reading This”, in which Bourdain tells his insider view of what actually happens in restaurant kitchens and why is not a good idea to order well-done steak in a restaurant. The beginning of his essay “ Good food, good eating, is all about blood and organs, cruelty and decay” shows himself as I imagine he is, a very bold and proud person who know very well his profession. To be honest, this was my favourite essay of this first part. For me, this part of the book was a journey of discovery and I am looking forward to see what fascinating stories are going to tell in the second chapter.



8 comments:

  1. Ale, I totally agree with you that while the examination of French cuisine through the decades was interesting, the work would have been improved with descriptions of other ethnic culinary traditions. While I feel like I as a Westerner read/hear a lot about French cooking, I have very little knowledge about other cuisines, such as the Peruvian food with which you are familiar. I hope that the rest of Secret Ingredients provides a more diverse outlook on cultural cuisines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ale, I agree with Meredith’s comment that the investigation of French cuisine throughout the chapter of the “Dining Out” section was interesting; however, just like you stated, it might have been more interesting to investigate other culinary cultures. I also particularly enjoyed Bourdain’s chapter “Don’t Eat Before Reading This” that you briefly mentioned: I am curious to know if you enjoyed Bourdain’s chapter or if you found it appalling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ale,
    I agree that there was a huge emphasis on French cuisine. I would have enjoyed more insights into different food cultures as well, but it shows that French cuisine is still at the top, according to the critics. I love how you said that you enjoyed reading about not only food, but the history and stories behind the food. I think this "Dining Out" section of the book did a great job of presenting food and culture on multiple levels, because food is so much more that just taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked Tony Bourdain's section too! He is easily my favorite author we've read so far, and I was really glad to get another chance to read him. I also liked how you didn't simply praise the essays we read, but you actually criticized them by adding some cuisines that you wished they would have included. This is something I have been lacking in my responses and I will try to add this to them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ale,

    Yes, I like this book's structure too! We can enjoy "Food writings" from each different point of view. For example, "ALL YOU CAN HOLD FOR FIVE BUCKS" and "THE FINEST BUTTER AND LOTS OF TIME" are both descrived in details, but the ways of it are different. The former mainly focuses on descriving scenes or views of a restaurant and it is subjective, but the latter on talks more objectively. Your way of writing about whole section is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ale!

    I'd love love love to hear more about cuisine from Latin America and South East Asia! I've noticed, though, that in my mind that kind of food doesn't come to my mind at first when thinking about fine cuisine... I think that tells me something about how we put foods from France and America on this pedestal, among how we prioritize them in other avenues.

    Thanks for giving me something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ale,
    To be honest, I never really quite thought about how this book mainly focused on European food, but now reflecting on it, you're totally right! Thanks for that insight! I've also noticed the main focus on French cuisine throughout a lot of the things we have been reading, even including Bourdain. I find it interesting that it is so prominent because I don't think I've ever eaten any French cuisine! It's funny how things work out that way. I also loved the backstory aspect that you were referring to. I think that even I, lover of all things food could get pretty bored of just reading pages and pages of food descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ale,
    To be honest, I never really quite thought about how this book mainly focused on European food, but now reflecting on it, you're totally right! Thanks for that insight! I've also noticed the main focus on French cuisine throughout a lot of the things we have been reading, even including Bourdain. I find it interesting that it is so prominent because I don't think I've ever eaten any French cuisine! It's funny how things work out that way. I also loved the backstory aspect that you were referring to. I think that even I, lover of all things food could get pretty bored of just reading pages and pages of food descriptions.

    ReplyDelete