Tuesday, November 1, 2016

CYOA

There is a story behind each dish. In class we have been working writing our memoirs and we have talked about the power of food of making us travel in time and the importance of food in our everyday life. This class has helped me to realise that after more than 10 years out of Peru, Peruvian food has still a strong power on me. I would like to share with you a little of bit of the Peruvian culinary tradition. Peruvian cuisine is unmatched in both its diversity and individuality – in my humble opinion, anyway. It is a fusion of many different cultures; it retains unique elements of each, yet is a distinct cuisine all its own. Its main influences are the indigenous Inca peoples; the Spanish conquistadors; African slaves brought by the Spanish; and large waves of immigrants who became integral components of the cultural and culinary framework.  I was interested about how the world perceive Peruvian cuisine and made a little bit of research and I would like to share this two observations from experts of the culinary art.
Ferrán Adriá, owner and chef of the Spanish restaurant “El Bulli” and recognized as one of the best chef in the world, says: “I know the Peruvian cuisine has a lot of tradition and a great variety of products that would surprise me. What is traditional for Peruvians may be modern for us; the combination of sweet, salty and sour tastes is also something different. This makes it a very personal cuisine, with lots of tradition but which is also open to change. I believe that Peruvian cuisine will offer a lot to talk about.”
Juan Mari Arzak, chef and owner of the three Michelin-starred Arzak restaurant, says: “Peru is one of the places I would like to go. I have heard about ceviche and Peruvian potatoes, which are like jewels. I’ve read a lot about their gastronomy, and I believe it is considered one of the great cuisines. It’s a cuisine with heritage, with roots in the past, and a nutritional balance. Usually cuisines evolve over time, and some lose their richness because the ingredients change, but in Peruvian cuisine this doesn’t seem to have happened because the quality of their products doesn’t have anything to do with price. They have great markets and great ingredients, an immense variety. There you will find everything, including a history that not many people know comes from there.”


2 comments:

  1. I look forward to your presentation, Ale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ale, I loved your presentation in class. I knew almost nothing about Peruvian food until your presentation! Now I really want to try the purple corn and the ceviche. It is beautiful to me how the Peruvian food is influenced by so many cultures, as well as geography.

    ReplyDelete