Saturday, October 1, 2016

A Cook's Tour Reading Response

Anthony Bourdain’ A cooks tour is about food. He tells where food comes from, our relation to it and what it reflects, through a narrative of vivid and sometimes grotesque anecdotes in his adventure around the globe looking for the perfect meal.
I didn't know much about this famous chef and writer but I totally loved this book, his sense of adventure and his respect for the food and the culture of the places he visits. He understands that food comes from a place and people, and he wants to know both as intimately as he can. He visits many locals in France, Spain, Portugal, Russia, Japan among others pushed for a personal purpose.
Anthony Bourdain's purpose is to try authentic food, fresh food and not be afraid to join in and eat like locals. He counts the slaughter of a pig in farm house in Portugal and how every part of the animal was used (intestines, the liver and heart, even the bladder was used to make a soccer ball for the children), when he ate lamb testicles in the Sahara desert in Morocco, the natto in Japan and his descriptions of each meal make them exquisite and tasty, although I am not very fan of eating brain, heart and tongues.
I love his believe that nothing should be wasted and the places he visits are cultures that share that philosophy too. It just make me think the amount of food I waste each day and I just cannot imagine the food is wasted per day in the world. That the most is used from an animals, the less animals are killed. 
His sense of experimentalism makes this book very interesting. His irony, self- criticism and complete honesty and his expertise as a chef adds so much to the story. He counts how guilty he felt in the slaughtering of the animal and that it was the first time he looked his victim in the face. After he witnessed he slaughtering, he realized that he was " a pathetic city boy, all too comfortable with my ignorance of the facts". I like how he is not afraid of telling that he was ignorant after years and years of cooking animals dead bodies and how she discovers new things too at the same time he is telling us about his grotesque experience. Moreover, I like how Bourdain gives extended information of the countries and locations he is visiting, the culture and its people because that gives more reliability to his story, however I would like it was longer, since I am a fan of the cultures of the world and I just want to know more and more. I have always been willing to try anything once, though i don't have a very refined palate as Tony Bourdain has, but after reading his stories I’d be willing to try his trip and expand my horizons in many senses.

1 comment:

  1. Me gusta la manera con que destacas el afán del cocinero por la comida y conocer mundo... Estoy seguro que te has sentido realmente identificada y que has disfrutado leyéndolo. Muy bien escrito y descrito. Felicidades una vez más, por tu trabajo.

    ReplyDelete